Sunday, February 01, 2009

Staying In Shape

Staying in shape, or at least keeping from falling apart is quite a challenge for me in the winter, especially this winter.
I vowed to keep running through the winter but I have to confess I wimped out in January with the single digit readings and below zero wind chills here in the windy city.
As much as I despise the treadmill, I have managed to crawl onto the beast and get in a lot of 20 to 40 minute cardio workouts through the week and have kept up with my yoga and pilates workouts. I was talking to my pilates instructor, who up close appears to be in her 40s but from a distance looks to be in her mid-20s, about my lack of energy and she told me to get back into the weights.
She said she was having the same problem and started lifting again. I thought that was a pretty bold statement coming from a pilates guru. Sometimes I think pilates, yoga or about any other instructor thinks their way is the only way to health.
Anyway, I took her advice and got back into weights about twice a week this winter and lo and behold she was right!
My energy is much better since I started working with the weights so I plan to stay with the weight work. I'm currently lifting twice a week and want to work in a third session each week.
As usual, I want to do everything so am struggling a little with balance while I wait for some of the snow and ice to melt so I can run outside without falling on my ass and freezing my fingers.
I just can't get into running all bundled up like a damned Santa Claus.
Okay, so I'm a woose but I feel like I'm getting a little tougher and maybe someday I'll try another one of those crazy marathons?
And maybe not, we'll see!
Carry on.

4 comments:

Shane A. Jones said...

What about Psycho Wyco?

Deb said...

Have to dress up like Santa Claus??? To hell with that! Weights have always been my favorite workout and I think it's where you get more bang for your buck. I was training with a pilates instructor who was very much an elitist when it came to pilates as the holy grail of training. I say do your thing, have fun and mix it up when you can to avoid injury. You're amazing...keep it going!

Sarah Haig said...

I have heard the same about weights. My girlfriend Sara ran the 10k with me last fall and had been lifting steady and running lightly. She had no problem with a 10k. It does alot more than people would think. I say LIFT DAMN IT!

WendyCity Productions said...

Hi Sam! I've put together a great video. Janeth and I worked really hard to produce an entry to Nike's "Believe in the Run" contest. We're hoping to get as many votes as possible before the April 28th deadline. The prize is a trip to Nike's HQ in Eugene and tons of schwag. I just wanted to share it with you to get your professional opinion (and your vote!) Please check it out when you get a chance :)

Here's the link to the contest page:

Contest: http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/VideosSeries/VideoView.aspx?vid=8807_70156495&pid=2163241&scid=418