Sunday, June 08, 2008

Feeling Good!

My running is coming along quite well, surprisingly well.
Last Sunday Sara, one of my running buddies here, and I ran the annual Zoo Run 5k in Lincoln Park and we had a great time! It was a cool, breezy, sunny Sunday morning which is unusual this season with all the storms and rain around so we got a nice break in the weather.

It was Sara's first run in 7 months and I think she was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was for her, even though we planned to take it easy and did just that. Our goal was a 12 min pace and we averaged 11:57 so I was pretty thrilled with the pacing, especially in the narrow lanes packed with people, all of whom were in a good mood...which was a bonus.

I've always beat myself up for not being faster but after last year's setback I'm trying to mentally get a thrill out of pacing, trying to find a challenge in coming in as close as possible to a "predict" time. I think this is a good challenge for me as I heal up and my times are even coming down, without trying, so that is another bonus.

My first 5k since the injury was New Year's morning in the wind and snow in Lincoln Park and I struggled to run 13 min/mile so I know I'm improving.

Just running outdoors 3 days a week and from 3-4 half hour treadmill runs a week. Soon I plan to stretch my daily runs to 5 miles from the current 3 since I'm feeling pretty good but I'm sure in no hurry right now.

I had a wonderful two week vacation with family the last 2 weeks of May and that was good for me. We spent a lot of quality time and I was able to see my granddaughters play softball, a softball pitching drill with a professional instructor and a soccer match with 8-9 year olds. Now, that was a trip! Great fun! My little 5-year old granddaughter was in a dance recital the night of my 64th birthday and I've never had a better birthday present.

The markets are nuts but my work as a commodities reporter is going fine too so I have to say I'm a very lucky guy.

I'm looking forward to stretching out my runs someday but for now am focused on shorter runs for exercise and plan to pick up the pace and mileage when the spirit moves me...or something kicks me in the ass!

Hope your runs are going well!

1 comment:

Sarah Haig said...

Kick ass daddyo! I hear ya loud and clear. I'm making goals too a little at a time. Life is good!!!