Thursday, September 13, 2007

Life Goes On

I notice more and more leaves on the ground on my daily walks to Lincoln Park to park my fanny on a bench and contemplate life, which is usually a big mistake.

The breeze coming through the trees and down the street feels and smells like fall and I'm having to pinch myself to realize it's already the middle of September.

My running group is doing the 20 miler Saturday in preparation for the Chicago Marathon on October 7 and I'm disappointed I can't join them. Maybe next year. Maybe not. We'll see how my ticker responds as I add hours and days from the trauma it went through on August 4.

I met with my cardiologist this past Monday and he set me up with the first stress test with him personally conducting it this coming Monday. He wanted to see for himself how my heart responds to a little more rapid walking pace before he sends me on to a likely 12 week cardio rehab program.

Naturally, I would rather go out for a brisk five mile run right now than sit on my butt and think about what has happened and what may happen but I will say it feels good to be able to walk, talk and watch the change of seasons one more year.

Enjoy your training and I hope to be back on the running trail soon.

4 comments:

Deb said...

I'm sure it is beautiful Sam. I can't imagine your frustration, but I can imagine your dry, real wit. It makes me smile.Your 'to hell with it' remedy for dismissing the negative side of the situation. Your are brave Sam. Not because it is noble(please!) or that you even chose to be...you are a real, 'look me (life) square in the eyes' kind of man. I love it! That is how we are meant to live this life! Keep living it.

WendyCity Productions said...

The good news, Sam, is that you and your doc can plan the work so you can "work the plan." Just like when you train for a marathon. That's the first step of many more for you! That's what I try to tell myself as I rehab my back although it's so difficult not to compare where I'm at now (walking) against my benchmark of running non-stop for several hours. I understand your frustration but let's approach it as an alternate method of reaching our mutual goal of running another marathon. I'm sending you tons of good juju!

Lora said...

How about volunteering for the Marathon?? I'd love to get some water and a smile from you while I'm running!!

Hey--I'm still happy you're alive!! Life is scarey, and waaay too short!!

Let us know how Monday goes!

Emily said...

Sam, I am so glad that you decided to continue with your blog and share your experiences during rehab. I know that you have found it to be frusterating but hopefully the sharing of your jouney will make some of it a little less tedious?? You are an inspiration Sam, and you will be with me in spirit (and on my shoe) every mile during my very first marathon. We have missed you in training and I would love to see your smiling face at some point along the course. And maybe next year I will run with the flesh and blood Sam during the marathon. Good luck and keep us updated with your recovery!