Friday, September 07, 2007

Cardio Rehab Ahead?

Walked the four blocks down the street this afternoon and checked out a gym facility that is hooked up with a super-duper cardio rehab program with Northwestern Hospital. I didn't have a damned thing else going on so thought I would satisfy my curiosity.

I told the RN I had heart surgery about a month ago and it was suggested I do cardio rehab and I wondered of they were still in business. They were and she said to check with my insurance company to see if it is covered.

So, that's my next step. I see my cardiologist Monday afternoon and will talk or listen to find out where I go from here. The nurse said we start with a stress test to see where we are then we walk and trot on a freakin treadmill hooked up to electrodes three times a week for 12 weeks. Thrilling!

We also get a lot of advice on how to take care of our heart so I obviously can use that.

My training program really stinks but yes I think I'm happy to be alive and possibly can trot, jog or maybe even run some day.

I was thinking today, plenty of time to think, that I might set a long term goal of qualifying for Boston in two years, when I turn 65. Might be cool for an old 65 year heart patient to run another marathon or two and as you know Boston is the dream and fantasy for most of us.

I also was thinking today that I just might walk for awhile and maybe jog through a 5k or two some day.

What running has done to my mind is just weird!

3 comments:

WendyCity Productions said...

Hey Sam,

Northwestern is hands-down, the *best!* I'm going to their rehab center on Clark Street for my back and today, they had me come in as a "model patient" for doctors in training. I had to demonstrate my limited range of movement for 100 people but they were really enthusiastic. They are really committed! With rehab, I think it's entirely realistic for you to plan on qualifying for Boston!!

Also, I just read an article in "Runners World" about Alberto Salazar's heart attack and his subsequent rehab. I think you will find it *very* encouraging. I emailed it to you but in case my email gets stuck in your spam filter, here's a link to the article (copy and paste into your browser):

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--12095-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-News%20And%20Blogs-_-The%20Day%20Alberto%20Salazar%20Died

Deb said...

Hey Sam. I think any goal is a good one. "We have the technology...we can rebuild him" is all you! I say make it Boston and I'll buy you dinner after the race!

be well!

RunnerGirl said...

So..how did your monday appointment go??