Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Setbacks, Disappointments And Critics

I don't think it's possible to have much of a life without taking a few risks. And sometimes taking those risks result in setbacks and disappointments, which aren't pleasant experiences but they can with time reveal a better path to accomplish the original goal.

I suppose an easier life would be that of a critic. Critics, you know, are only little people who somehow have been allowed to criticize others either verbally or in writing. All of my good and real friends are performers, not critics. Sure we don't mind offering some constructive advice here and there but usually only if it's asked for. Once in awhile I've seen a friend or two headed for obvious disaster and I've simply told them so, but I usually do a pretty good job minding my own business.

Not all of my good friends are runners so I'm not so smug as to think that everyone needs to be a runner in order to be what I call a performer. Most of my friends and family members have recognized a simple truth in life and that is this. They take care of their responsibilities and their first responsibility is to themselves. By taking care of their needs they are healthier, happier and therefere much better friends, fathers, mothers, brothers or sisters.

I think this attitude can make running more enjoyable too. I've been guilty of the old "I'm slow and not a good runner" curse, an attitude of self-loathing that stems from the childhood years spent in competitive sports. You know, if you weren't first then you don't count. And, unfortunately I sometimes run into control-freak tiny-minded little people who are willing to nurse along that defeatest attitude in others. I suppose it makes them feel big and important if they criticize someone who was second and not first.

I'm in setback mode right now so my thoughts, actions and writings are certainly a lot different than I thought they would be at this point in my training life. I have to maintain faith in the ability of my body and mind to heal so I can again perform at my best on the running trails of life. I don't want to sit around and become a critic, it looks like a miserable way to live.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words to live by!

Deb said...

My God Sam... I'm catching up here and am stunned. I was missing your posts and thought you were just busy. You are incredibly fortunate but so are we! I'm glad you're here, recovering and getting centered on your life. I expect more posts! ;)

be well!
d

WendyCity Productions said...

Hi Sam,

Like I told you when I saw you yesterday, you're *still* a badass! I look forward to the day when you kick mine out on the trails!

- Wendy

Soapin' Cindy said...

I really liked this posts. Critics and performers. I like to surround myself with the performers also. I've had a few crtics in my life...and let them go for my sanity.