Sunday, August 26, 2007

Starting Over

It seems amusing to me that I would sit around on my butt three weeks removed from a heart attack and bypass surgery and beat up on myself because I'm not doing something to get in better shape. But that's what I've been doing.

The doctor's orders now are to basically do nothing and heal up. I sleep, eat, go for walks; sleep, eat, go for walks and on and on and on. It's an abrupt change from my life just over three weeks ago when I was busy each day writing about the insane grain futures markets and pursuing my hobby of running and working out.

The walls came tumbling down in a few short seconds and I'm now faced with starting over and I don't have a clue where I'm going. Some of my fellow runners have asked me when I'll be able to run again and I don't have an answer to that. Frankly at this moment I've lost my enthusiasm for running since I'm able to only see slight improvement on my daily walks.

I'm walking 4 segments a day with the total walking time around an hour. Maybe someday I'll be able to run a slow 5k again but for now I'm truly starting over, and I don't like it one bit.

But I'm alive and able to enjoy the pursuits of my fellow runners and bloggers. I hope to rejoin the parade someday.

3 comments:

Deb said...

re join the parade? As long as we're here, we're all in the parade! I'm glad you are. I'd really love to continue to read your posts, please don't disappoint me.
Be well my friend!

RunnerGirl said...

Of course you have a clue as to where you are going! Up for heaven's sake! Walking is your athletic activity for the time being and do it with purpose for its the groundwork for your return to running. I've had to start at the bottom more than once so I understand but I also know that you'll remain there if you allow the challenge of the road ahead of you to cause you despair. Reflect on the very fact that you are still here and let that reality give you joyful positive energy.
-RG

Sarah Haig said...

You've got it daddyo! You're already setting goals and achieving them little by little. It will all come back to you in due time. Just keep up the hard work!!! Love ya!!!