Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Good One

I haven't had a so-called "refreshing" run for a long time but today was a literal happening. Eight easy miles with my group on the lakefront, 70 degrees, sunny, 50 percent humidity instead of 80 something and a persistent cool breeze.

I was able to push along with the troops almost without effort. Everyone was in a great mood and I had a fantastic time shooting the breeze with first one then the other. Was like a pup turned loose in the woods for the first time.

My running has been a bit labored lately, partly because I'm pushing my pace about a minute per mile up from last year and partly because of the muggy weather. The runs have all been good ones because I was out there pushing and accomplishing my goals. But today was a treat, a gift and pure pleasure. I knew I had been in a bit of a dog fight at the end of the run but I wasn't wiped out. I almost feel guilty writing about it. Maybe this is the runner's high I hear about?

I met another Sam today. This one is a girl Sam and we had a good time yammering a bit about the coincidence of our names, which aren't really that common.

Sam ran her first marathon two years ago, didn't run one last year and she told me she cried when she watched the Chicago Marathon last year because she wanted to be running it. Soooo, the Sams are training for this year's thon in the Windy City.

I've had many interesting conversations on my runs and today's chat with my new friend was, for me, pretty profound and meaningful. She told me she ran some shorter races last year and her friends have encouraged her to stick with the 5ks and such but "it's just not the same." All I could think of saying is "it gets in your blood."

I don't think it's really possible or even necessary to explain why a person would train for and run a marathon or, god forbid, train for and run an ultra.

It's a mystery to me, and I've always enjoyed adventure and mystery.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Hey Sam, great post! I've always wanted to run the Chicago Marathon. I registered for it last year but then got injured and was off of running for 5 months. I'll make it there someday though-glad you had such a wonderful run this weekend!

ps...my dad's name is Sam ☺

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb said...

Sounds like a great conversation & run...don't you love that? Have a great week Sam!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I just remembered, in the 6th grade, I had a teacher that always called me Sam...never once by my real name.