Monday, June 11, 2007

Six Weird Things About Me

I see Sensationally Red has given me an edict to post six weird things about me. The timing is perfect because I've been beating myself up over one of them and it's time to make a few changes in my life. Unfortunately for anyone who may stop by to read this, none of it is very funny/weird. Well maybe it is a bit humorous. I don't blog much and frankly don't comment on very many blog sites so I don't know who I'll pass this too.

But, here goes.

1. I'm 63 years old, have been running for around 15 years, completed 6 marathons, training for my seventh and I have been smoking for 40 years. Okay, not weird...just sick!

2. When other runners find out I smoke they think it's weird, but they let me run with them anyway. I think I'd run away from me.

3. It's weird to me that I'll lace up my sneakers, go for a five mile run and the last mile all I can think about is getting down to Starbucks, get home, plop my butt in my chair and light up.

4. I quit smoking two years ago for over two months and I felt better from day one. In the first couple of weeks, I thought about smoking but I didn't have any physical withdrawal symptoms. I was calmer, running was easier then I tightened up a hamstring, got pissed off and lit up. Now, that's just weird.

5. I've become obsessed with wanting to be the healthiest, happiest and fastest 63 year old I can possibly be but I have a cigarette going as I write this. Weird?

6. Tonight is my I quit night. I can keep a commitment and I've never committed to do this in writing or expressed my frustration publically. Wanting to be the best at something and continually almost deliberately sabotaging the opportunity to achieve a goal is just freakin WEIRD!!!

There, I did it. Now you know I'm just overall weird.

I'm getting up an hour earlier starting tomorrow morning for an early morning run before work. I've done this before and it felt great, and I want to feel great. I've worked hard on my body so I can handle some pretty heavy workouts. Now, the mind has to focus on the big nicotine hurdle.

Looking forward to more positive, happier and maybe less weird posts in the future.

Thanks Red for the kick in the pants.
You are one active, honest and interesting blogger and an inspiration to us all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Daddyo! I'm cheering you on!

Soapin' Cindy said...

You can do it Sam. I know what you're going through. I used to be the dragon lady smoker...I sucked them down in one fell swoop! Heck, if I can give up them up...I think anyone can. I've always wanted to live a healthy lifestyle, but couldn't give up the smokes either. I didn't like the hypocrisy of being someone that lived a fairly healthy lifestyle, but smoked. Of course, you are addicted and it happens. It's really hard...but can be done. You actually have an advantage over many other people trying to give up smoking. You already are a runner...just kick in the running an extra notch to get you through the rough patches to come. It took me many attempts to quite smoking, but now that it's been 11 years of smoke free living--I think it's one of my greatest accomplishments, next to having my children. I think you'll be encouraged when you notice that you're a tad bit faster or you're able to breathe in a little more air with each breathe. There is much living to be done! Wouldn't you like to be doing 5k's when you're 90? I know I do. Good luck Sam! I'm rooting for you. Sorry for the mini-blog. Thanks for participating in the "weird" things blog.

Soapin' Cindy said...

I don't know how long you've been reading my blog, but I wrote a very long post on my experience quitting smoking on Dec. 3rd, 2006. You can scroll back through the 2006 archives to find it.

Anonymous said...

Sam,

You have a great blog, and I appreciated your comments about the sell outs for races. I'm running Chicago again this year for the 10th time, but it's becoming harder to get into lots of races.

I also appreciated your post about quiting smoking. I've not smoked but I have to constantly work on managing my weight.

Just yesterday I went public on my blog about committing to a very specific weight loss goal. We'll have to see if that helps us in our resolve.

Check out our blog at http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Hope you're remaining strong with quitting.