Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm Eyeing The Road

I'm into my fourth week of cardio rehab and my third week back at work full time in my job as a correspondent for Reuters News, feeling pretty good and starting to eye the possibility that I'll be back on the road running soon.

I've been turned loose on the eliptical trainer and told I can now work as hard as I feel like working, so I turned up the heat on myself last Friday and again on Monday and bumped the ol' heart rate up to 120 to 150, a move that brought the cardio girl over to my side to ask if I was okay. "You're heart rate is really up there, are you okay?" she asked. I was better than okay and finally felt like I was getting somewhere, into a light sweat and feeling good about myself and my effort.

I think as a runner my idea of workout is quite a lot different than many others. My perception of really hard work is still somewhere between the 15-20 mile area of a marathon and very, very hard begins somewhere between 20 and 26.2. I suppose work and workout is all relative and really is a personal thing.

I jumped the work and heart rate again on Monday and the other cardio girl told me later "you make it look easy." People have told me that all my life and I don't get it. Nothing has ever been easy for me so it's true that looks can be deceiving.

I confess it was nice to get a compliment about my workout and I've come to the conclusion that I need or think I need more attention than I care to admit. The running community is one place I go to get fairly consistent positive feedback and almost no criticism. Wouldn't it be nice if more of life's experiences could include less criticism and more affirmations. I think there would be less depression and almost no paranoia in this old world.

Work is going great. I like my job, the people I work with and am becoming more and more aware that my work ethic, which I'm proud of, is also a bit of a handicap in my social life...maybe a big handicap. I tend to lose focus in a quiet or casual social setting and start thinking that we should get busy and do something. Needless to say, I have some work to do in order to get a better social life going.

Anyway, just rambling here while I heal from my setback in early August. It's been a challenging year for me. I'm trying to learn from it and continue to seek positives from what has been a difficult situation.

3 comments:

WendyCity Productions said...

Yay, Sam!!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Yes, I know what you mean. I tend to not think I had a hard workout unless I'm sore as heck the next day or like you said, after mile 20 of a marathon. So true, that runners are generally supportive of one another. I'm a glutton for attention. Nice to see you in the blogger neighborhood again Sam!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Yes, I know what you mean. I tend to not think I had a hard workout unless I'm sore as heck the next day or like you said, after mile 20 of a marathon. So true, that runners are generally supportive of one another. I'm a glutton for attention. Nice to see you in the blogger neighborhood again Sam!