Saturday, July 07, 2007

Warming Up Here In Chi Town


It's warming up here in Chi town with the heat index approaching 100 on Sunday. Makes running a bit more challenging and have to slow the pace a bit so I can tolerate the run and adapt to the heat, which usually takes around two weeks.

Got in a nice 9 miler this morning with Jess and enjoyed a lunch with Jake and Jess at BeBes. I hadn't been there and I'm glad I went because it was a real nifty place on lower Hubbard Street, outdoor seating and we had a nice table under a tree so we dined in shade and a cool breeze. The roast pork sandwich was really good and as usual the portion size of sandwich and fries was about twice what I eat these days so I boxed half of it and will finish it off tonight at dinner or maybe sometime Sunday.

I pushed a 7 miler a little on Tuesday. Wednesday July fourth I was off work so went for a long bike ride in the morning and knocked out a brisk 5 miler in the afternoon.

Big running week ahead for me with five miles early tomorrow (Sunday) then pilates, will do my usual 7 Tuesday, little speed work Wed eve with my group then the annual Bastille Day 5K and block party is Thursday evening downtown. Nike is now sponsoring this race and like Nike or not you have to admit they really know how to put on a race, always first class. Jess and I and a woman at work will run that thing together. Jake informed me today his personal disciplined training program involves no races during the week and no runs over 6 miles. I'm glad there is one somewhat sensible person in my group of friends and family. I've always agreed with him that several 3-5 mile runs during the week are good for health and anything beyond that is just craziness. And, there sure is a lot of craziness around here. The Lakefront looked like keystone cops early this morning with all the marathon training groups in motion.

Saturday morning Nike is sponsoring a new 5 mile race at Sox stadium so Jess, Jake and I will run that one together. Jess and I will miss our respective group long run Saturday morning so we agreed today to team up early Sunday and knock down a 12 miler together. I think I talked Jess into running the Lakefront south from Navy Pier Sunday morning instead of north. The Lakefront south shore isn't quite so loaded with people and there are more trees, lots more grass and open area so it will be a new trip for Jess and a run through nostalgia for me.

One of my all-time favorite runs for me occurred in the late 90s when I was in pretty good shape. I ran solo from Oak Street Beach south to South Shore Country Club and back which pencils out to 24 miles. It was my longest training run ever and I discovered a new level of mental toughness the last 5 miles of that thing. I'll never forget that run and how special it was for me. It was a big breakthrough for me as a runner and as a person.

4 comments:

Lora said...

I've hardly run through the South Shore.....lucky Jess to have you to show her around!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I am absolutely convinced that running any more than 10 miles is not really good for you...but I'm one of the crazies. I just can't help myself! But if running that 24 mile run was memorable for you, then by all means, do it again!!

Sam said...

Know what you mean Red. Me too!
It is possible to stay healthy and get really strong though as long as genetics are kind, food/hydration/electrolytes are adequate and for me I need the gym work to stay stretched out.
Carry on. It's a great hobby. I can't stand to hang around people and listen to complaints about their darned hangnails or the dent in their new car.

Deb said...

Taht heat cmes with some humidity, no? Drink up (water for now!) & running. Than go get a beer and cool off!