Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ms. Legs Is Doin' 9 Saturday

I was getting off the elevator in my building this evening and Ms. Legs was getting on. She's one of the prettiest and nicest women in my building and is the one who a few weeks ago, during another elevator encounter when I was coming in for a run, asked me if I would happen to be training for the marathon. I told her I was and she said she was too. It's her first marathon and she's turning 40 this year.

Well that's about all I know about her, but it's enough for now and maybe forever because I have a new friend who's not rude and has a really warm and real smile. I saw her coming in the front door a couple of evenings ago but I was yammering with the doorman about either Paris Hilton or the war so I didn't get to talk to her. However, her big smile reached me across the lobby. What is it about distance runners and the immediate bonding? Maybe we just know we're all nuts but also know the only harm we may cause is to ourselves.

I asked Ms. Legs this evening how her training was going. She said she was going to do 9 Saturday and she would be glad to see how that goes. I didn't even think to compliment her on her beauty, or whooo hooo her fine frame, I'm thinking I've lost it or beginning to lose it or maybe I've found it? It's all a bit confusing how my priorities have changed.

I hope she can train this summer without hurting herself and get to the finish line of that marathon. I remember well my first marathon. The medal looked and felt like the biggest pot of gold anyone could place on this earth. It was the spring of 1998 and a Cher look-a-like was wandering around at the finish line giving hugs. She told me she liked sweaty men. But...she had an awfully deep husky voice? Hmmm, how do you spell transvestite? I was so happy I hugged IT anyway. I mean, hell we were in California.

I'm really proud and humbled too that I've been able to run and learn how to suck it up near the end of some difficult training runs and marathons. And I'm also seeing how I can be of help to other runners, especially the newbies, just by showing interest in their adventure and giving them a bit of encouragement.

Also, I would like to say that my hat's off to any ultra, trail runner, mountain or hill runner, that may stumble across this writing. I've been reading about you all and I can't relate to your stamina but I can relate to your bonding and support for each other and I respect you.

One decision I made in the fall of 1998 when I ran my personal best here on the flat asphalt of Chicago was that I'd never run further than 26.2 miles the rest of my life. All that was one my mind the last 2 or 3 miles is "I need a big bag of M&Ms and get this bitch over with." This was when boca burgers were being promoted. They were serving them at the finish line and I ate 4 of them as fast as I could and was still hungry but was starting to embarass myself.

By the way Red, the ham jerky was just okay. Fairly mild, not too salty but you'll have a happy and full life if you never buy a bag of it.

So, Ms Legs is doing 9 Saturday morning and that's what my schedule calls for. The 8 miler last Saturday felt great since it was nice and cool so we'll see what's in store this weekend. Ran a brisk 5 Monday, took today (Tuesday) off, will run 3 early tomorrow morning, 7 miles of tempo on my own Thursday, kick the 9 or get kicked with my group Saturday morning then pull out the stops Sunday morning in a little 5k race downtown called the Race To Taste, in association with the annual Taste Of Chicago.

I'm picking up the pace a little after trotting along and treading water last year and feeling very, very good but most of all I'm very grateful that I can be active and alive.

3 comments:

Soapin' Cindy said...

So does Ms. Legs have a name? Yeah, best not to compliment her on her nice frame....yet. Give it a little time. ;-) I know just what you mean about the kinship among runners and even more so, among the endurance crowd. Sounds like you have a nice week of running planned. Just found out it's going to be a nice lower 70's for our big 23 mile trail run on Sunday.

Caleb said...

Congrats on the sub-30 5k! Badass!!! I'll be anxious to hear how the 9 miler goes on Saturday.

Go Hardcore!

Anonymous said...

Hey Big Bro. Remember our deal about any new long term women in you life? I enjoy your blogs and I am proud of you too.
Margie(little sis)