Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Five Reasons To Run

I almost feel obligated to blog something now that I have one or two pen pals. My day job as a correspondent for Reuters News, covering the insanity of the grain futures markets at the Chicago Board Of Trade, tends to discourage me from writing another line about anything when I'm in my little home.

However, I am discovering a pretty good release from a bit of stress that may have built up by tapping out something that eyes other than mine can see. It's one thing to keep a private diary, quite another to expose myself to the wild and wacky world of the web...this keeps me honest.

It seems a bit egotistical and arrogant for me to think about a legacy that I may leave my kids and granddaughters. I grew up with a false sense of humility, you know, be damned sure to never think highly of yourself because if you do god will get you.

Well screw it!

I want my kids and granddaughters to be proud of their Grandpa Sam. It's a miracle that I'm alive, much less have a family, considering the hell raising I did from the late teens to the late twentys. My antics have mellowed a bit over the years, but I still have to be on the edge to feel alive. And, maybe that's really why I run. And frankly I like the attention, the shoes, shirts, shades, laughter, jammin music and of course the pretty girls. So, I'm a big show-off and headed for hell but I sure have a lot of good company.

I'm meeting my running group this evening for an easy hour of some damned running. I don't know why anyone ever calls a run an "easy run". I've never had an easy run but some have been less difficult than others. Easy in my mind is sitting on my ass dreaming of what I want to be if and when I ever grow up.

It's sunny, 78, low humidity and a cool breeze here on the Lakefront in Chicago and I'm headed out the door to kick butt, my own, and believe me it needs kicking. I'm doing this running gig for many reasons and here are five of the most important ones.



Stephanie, Natalie, Mallorie, Rylee and Scarlett

I hope you can laugh and tell your kids and grandkids that Grandpa Sam was a little different but was a pretty good runner...for an old fart!

3 comments:

Soapin' Cindy said...

Those are five very good reasons to keep running. You'd be surprised about how many people might be reading your blog. I have you linked on my blog. I don't have a huge readership, by any means, but about 30 people read my blog everyday and might be sneaking over to your place. Is Scarlett a redhead by chance? They are all beautiful! It's fun putting pictures on the blog, isn't it?

Sam said...

Scarlett does have reddish/blonde hair, strawberry blonde maybe? She's the little one. Rylee in purple is blonde and the older three brunettes.
I don't get to see them often enough but we stay in close contact.
You have a couple of great looking kids Red. Really something to stay healthy and run for. Bet they're proud of you. Even the son, who as you know, is entering the wild world of teenage confusion.
Hold on!!!!

Caleb said...

Old Fart!!! You're not that old. And BTW your Nephew is proud of you too!!